Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Rag wreath for a primitive bedroom

If you know me well, you know that I don't usually decorate in the primitive style. Nothing against it, but it just doesn't go with the decorations I've accumulated over the years. But when we moved to a home that had a bedroom wallpapered in a gorgeous primitive style, I decided to capitalize on the theme. After all, we had sold almost all of our decorations when we moved from the last house, so I almost had to start from scratch anyway.

Here's the catch: It was my 12-year-old son's room. Hmm ... How do you make the primitive style look good for a boy that age? Fortunately for me, my son isn't into cartoon themes and such. I ran the idea past a friend that decorates a good bit in primitive style, and she advised me to capitalize on the blue stars in the wallpaper. I created a board on Pinterest, filled it with ideas, and then showed it to my son. He liked it, so that's what we went with.

My very first project was a rag wreath. I found the tutorial on Pinterest, but I really did my own thing once I saw the basics of how it was done. I didn't want to have to spend money needlessly, so I used an old metal coat hanger as the base. I was afraid my wreath wouldn't be very full since I wasn't using the kind that you buy with at least three layers to them, but I shouldn't have been. It turned out beautifully!


Here it is in progress. You can get a better idea of what my coat hanger base looked like.


And here it is finished. I was surprised at how nice it turned out!


And here you can see what it looks like on the wall.

This wreath used a total of two yards of fabric, so it wasn't expensive to make.

I have a few more projects to share from decorating this room, so stay tuned!
posted from Bloggeroid

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I love how your wreath turned out! It goes perfectly with the primitive style!

 
;