Monday, November 12, 2012

Charybdis Socks for Me: After-Thought Heels


I recently had the opportunity to try out a great sock pattern with after-thought heels. It's called Charybdis Socks, and it's very reasonably-priced. (ETA: The sales from her patterns are helping to pay off college debt for her son.)

Since I had never done these kind of heels before, I was anxious to try them. These socks are very comfortable! They would be perfect first-time socks, too, since there is no wrap-and-turn or anything else that’s exclusive to knitting socks.

I only wear anklets, so I modified the pattern accordingly:
  • 1-1/2” top ribbing
  • Knit 4 rows before “dividing” for the heel.
  • Continue in pattern until it measures 6” from the heel (the sts that will be the heel), then begin decreasing for the toes. (I wear a US size 6-1/2 to 7 shoe, depending on the manufacturer.)

I got to the end of the first sock and was within a few yards of the same color that I started the first one with, so I decided to go back to do the heels when both main sock pieces were finished. I’ve never been able to make completely matching socks with self-striping yarn before. The bonus: I only needed one 50-gram ball of sock yarn for these. Yeah!!

The heels don’t match exactly, but nobody sees those when they’re on. If that bothers you, you can always make the heels in another contrasting/coordinating solid color.

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I love your pretty striped socks -- you're becoming and expert knitter!

 
;