Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Knitting: Socks for Me

I participated in several knit-alongs this month, and one of them was for these ankle socks.

As much as I admire the pretty patterns on the high socks everyone else seems to knit, I can't stand to wear socks that go more than an inch above my ankles. So when this pattern came up as a suggestion for this knit-along, I was very interested in making a pair.

This was my first time knitting from a DROPS Design pattern, and I wanted to be sure that I had help if I needed it. Their patterns are written and formatted quite differently from other patterns, and it can be confusing. I think it has something to do with English not being their "first" language, but I could be wrong about that.

At any rate, I used the pattern 106-20 Ankle Socks in "Fabel" to make these, and I was pretty happy with how they turned out. They are a little lower than I prefer (the pattern is designed that way), but they fit perfectly otherwise.

This was my first pair of socks that I actually finished with sock yarn instead of worsted-weight yarn, and I am very pleased with myself. I didn't get terribly bored with them, and it didn't take me forever to finish them.

I've decided that I prefer using double-pointed needles to the "magic loop" or "two-at-a-time" methods. I still have a pair of two-at-a-time socks sitting on a circular needle waiting for me to get some more patience with them. After finishing these socks, I'm seriously considering transferring those socks (one at a time) to DPNs to finish.

I picked up this superwash sock yarn (Schoeller Esslinger Fortissima Colori) in a bag of other wool yarns at the thrift store. I estimated that I spent about $0.25 for it, so I'm especially happy with my new wool socks.

One last thing that I love about ankle socks is that I can get an entire adult-sized pair from one 50-gram ball of sock yarn. That's like getting half-priced socks! :)

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

You amaze with with all you know about knitting! Your socks turned out really cute with their multi-colored yarn.

 
;