Friday, February 17, 2012

Knitting: Socks #2 for Lesotho

This was my second pair of socks ever, and I fell in love with this pattern. In fact, after making two identical pairs of these, I about have the pattern memorized. They're that easy. I can finish a pair of these in one day's worth of free time, if I don't have tons of distractions.

I also dearly love this wool yarn. Since it came from an unraveled thrift store sweater (which was handknit by an invidual), I have no idea the exact fiber percentages in this yarn. But according to the bleach test, this is indeed animal fiber. It's the softest, squishiest animal fiber I've felt yet (well, the baby alpaca ranks up there, too), and I loved working with it. I suspect the Lesotho children are going to love these socks!


These also have a reinforced heel, to ensure they can get lots of wear.

I've perfected the Kitchener stitch, thanks to these socks. At first, I had to watch a Youtube video or refer to a knitting book for directions on doing Kitchener, but after doing it four times (once for each sock), I remember exactly how it's done. A lot of people are scared of that stitch, but it's really no big deal once you've tried it. You just have to wrap your mind around what it is that you're doing, and then it's a simple repeated process.

I love, love, love this waffle stitch pattern for socks! You don't have to do the "knit 2, purl 2" thing for every row of the whole sock, but you do get a snug fit.


If you're interested in trying these, you can find the Waffle Socks 32 pattern on Ravelry. I highly recommend it!

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Your knitting needles aren't gathering any dust -- that's for sure!
Another great job!

 
;